Our understanding of faith grows and develops throughout our lives. Therefore, the Cathedral offers a variety of educational opportunities for children, youth and adults. All our programs are grounded in the traditions of the Episcopal Church.
Give them an inquiring and discerning heart, the courage to will and to persevere, a spirit to know and love you, and the gift of joy and wonder in all your works.
Book of Common Prayer, p. 308
What is Godly Play?
- Godly play is the creation of Reverend Jerome Berryman, an Episcopal priest who has an extensive background in child development and Montessori education
- The Episcopal curriculum has been designed for ages 3-12 and teaches the art of using religious language--parable, sacred story, silence and liturgical actions--to help interpret what happens in children's daily lives
- Using images as part of the religious language, children respond to the stories they are told through their own art and play
What are the benefits of Godly Play?
- Godly Play enhances the integration of the use of language into the child's life
- The children focus on the religious language as a set of tools which helps the child cope with existential issues and help them to know their Creator
- It lessens the possiblity of worshipping the language itself (which becomes a form of idolatry)
- It stimulates children's spiritual growth and creativity and can enhance the teachers' and parents' spiritual growth as well
What is the curriculum for Cathedral Church School?
- The curriculum is entitled Weaving God's Promises
- It is based upon the theology and history of our Anglican/Episcopal heritage
- Class sections are structured around components of the Holy Eucharist as set forth in the Book of Common Prayer
- Classes are offered for grades pre-K through 6th grade
What classes should my child take to receive Confirmation?
- Our Youth Group is intended for young people in grades 7 and above
- The primary structure of the program comes from the Journey 2 Adulthood ("J2A") program developed by St. Philip's Episcopal Church in Durham, North Carolina
- Our youth groups provide teenagers with a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere in which they can grow in Christ while sharing new experiences and having fun
Feel led to help out?
Our volunteers minister during weekend worship services, plan and organize special events, and much more