The centerpiece of Garden City, NY, the Cathedral of the Incarnation opened its doors on April 9, 1885.
Cornelia Stewart funded the building of the Episcopal cathedral as a memorial to her husband, Alexander T. Stewart, known as "The Merchant Prince" for his successful development of department stores. When he passed away in 1876, Stewart was considered one of the three richest men in the United States, alongside Cornelius Vanderbilt and William B. Astor.
The Cathedral of the Incarnation was designed to emulate the Gothic style of architecture found throughout many European churches. In buildings of this style, the eye is always pointed upward to heaven. The grandeur and height of the building is further intensified by the profusion of light bursting through the stained glass, a reminder of the divine presence of Jesus Christ, the light of the world.
The cathedral's ornately decorated spire rises to a height of over 200 feet, topping the impressive building made from imposing blocks of brown sandstone. The interior decor features opulent ceiling vaulting which has been recently gilded.
The cathedral's organ was built by Casavant Frères Limitée, and was installed in the building in 1986. With 103 ranks located in both the chancel and gallery of the Cathedral, it is the largest pipe organ on Long Island.
The Cathedral of the Incarnation has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1978.